Monday, February 15, 2010

The Week That Wasn't!!!

It was one of those Monday mornings when you get up and curse yourself for the Sunday night’s drink, I fail to understand wether it’s the drink or the thought of the work week lying ahead that makes the hangover worse especially on Monday mornings….so going back to the hangover of mine I was greeted with the breaking news of the day by my wife..” MAA BAA AASCHE, ANNIVERSARY JONNU”; my wife when excited chooses to forget that Bengali is not on my resume as one of the languages known; well first it seemed like part of my dream, but little later when I looked at my wife carefully with her eyes popped out behind her specs and ear to ear grin I realized this was true well that partly explained the loud shrills which broke my sleep in the first place, it was my excited wife speaking on the phone to my in-laws. A couple of splashes of water on the face and I got the English subtitles saying my in-laws would be here for my first marriage anniversary; for the record:-“I LOVE MY IN-LAWS” they are one of the coolest in-laws to have* {*-conditions apply} but there was a hitch the only problem I have with their presence is the cuisine and the atmosphere, they are tad too loud for peace loving your’s truly and the cuisine is one of the most talked about in food circles but somehow I have not been able to make peace with it, probably my limited taste buds and some pre-determined notions about what to eat and what not to eat were to blame. So along with the joy of spending quality time with them came the fear of food.

Well I showed enough joy to make sure my wife doesn’t feel otherwise and started counting days, I wasted a week of quality time buying stuff for the home which would make my in-laws feel Iam “settled”* {*-polite way of investigating wether the useless fellow you married your daughter to is good enough to take care of your daughter}

So after me trying to make maximum out of my only left weekend, the big arrival happened on 10th February when after a hard days work I headed to the airport to receive them with a bouquet in hand like a good son-in-law. After meeting at the airport and a few hundred kisses and Bengali compliments later {I still believe they are compliments even though I some times don’t understand what the words actually mean, so I take it on face value since it’s coupled with a smile}we headed towards the taxi bay, well there is some good news awaiting; the cabs in Bangalore have not been designed to accommodate the luggage of a happy Bengali couple coming to meet to their daughter’s house first time after marriage… so that means a few of the bags had to kept in the front seat of the cab so that meant I was to travel sand witched between my pa-in-law and ma-in-law in the cab, well the cab left airport and 5 kms later my in-laws decided to have their customary argument about something in…..u guessed it right Bengali or bangla as I was enlightened later by my wife and I acted like watching a tennis match looking at alternatively at who ever was talking and trying to look as if I completely understood their plights.
We entered our peace loving apartment at around 11.30 and the loud shrieks and kemon aacho’s did make a few neighbors turn in their beds. And now its time to wake up early to go receive my sister-in-law in who would e arriving in the morning. Looking forward to my first marriage anniversary which Iam sure would be eventful………

No comments:

Post a Comment